Let’s face it: making healthy choices isn’t always easy when you’re constantly on-the-go. Long rehearsal days leave little room to prepare healthy snacks and meals. However, there are a number of quick and healthy snacking options available to get you through your busiest days! You just need to know where to look, and what to look for. Today, I’m sharing my 5 favorite on-the-go snacks for long days with little-to-no breaks.
Did you know eating smaller meals more frequently throughout the day can help aid weight loss? Eating small meals roughly every three hours is known to stabilize blood sugar levels and provide a metabolic boost–not to mention the fact that it will keep you from getting “hangry” mid-rehearsal 😉 Avoid the urge to starve yourself until the next meal, as this may contribute to weight gain! Instead, pick up a healthy snack or mini-meal, and enjoy!
1. Quest Bars: Packed with 20-21 grams of Protein and ≤1 gram of Sugar per bar, Quest Nutrition makes some of the best on-the-go snacks you can find on the market. Enjoy a little indulgence without the guilt through their myriad of delicious flavors, such as Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Cinnamon Bun, Chocolate Brownie, Mint Chocolate Chunk, and more! They can be a bit pricy, but they’re worth every penny. You can save some money per bar by purchasing a full box from stores like Vitamin Shoppe instead of buying them individually. They’re easy to throw in a bag, even easier to eat, and they will keep you satisfied for up to TWO hours!!
2. Kind Bars: Although they have more fat and sugar than Quest bars do, Kind Bars make it onto our list for their portability, delicious taste, and slightly lower price per bar. I always go for one of their +Protein flavors to help keep me full and energized. Throw a bar in your bag before you dash out the door, and your tummy will thank you later.
3. Protein Shakes: Protein shakes can be the most nutritious and filling snack on our list when prepared thoughtfully, but they do require a bit more prep time. Fortunately, our protein shake recipe is quick and easy to prepare, ESPECIALLY if you prep your shakes in bulk! I have three shaker cups, so I prepare three at a time and throw the extras in the freezer. The day I need one, I take one out of the freezer in the morning to defrost, grab a scoop of protein, and I’m ready to go!
4. Fruit Jar: Need some fast food? There’s nothing faster (or more delicious) than your favorite fruit in a mason jar! Fully Raw Kristina makes the most beautiful fruit jars you have ever seen. Just grab your favorite fruit, layer it in a jar, and you’ll be sure to have the most beautiful snack in the room!
5. Parfait: All you need to make a delicious, healthy parfait is some non-fat plain greek yogurt, your favorite fruit, and a bit of granola or a small handful of chopped nuts! I love parfaits because they’re a breeze to prepare. Beware: store-bought parfaits tend to be loaded with sugar and fat, so you’re better off buying the individual ingredients separately and preparing your own. Additionally, if you tend to have a vocal reaction to dairy products, this may not be your best snack option during a rehearsal.